Monday, October 29, 2007

They put sweeteners in EVERYTHING! The easy part of being sugar-free is the cake, candy, cookies thing. The hard part is that the stuff is in nearly everything.

I decided to check the labels at my friend's house to show how sneaky sugar is. She eats fairly healthy, as food goes these days - lots of home cooked food, meat and veggies...

Note: these foods just happened to be in her cabinet. They represent absolutely no bias for or against any particular brand. I pulled them out at random.

The first can I picked up was kidney beans.



"There's sugar in kidney beans?" she exclaimed, surprised. Yep, sure is.








Hmmm - green tea. Should be good for you... - Oops - SUGAR.



Shake-n-Bake? Yep, sugar, dextrose, and maltodextrin. For chicken coating?















Stove Top dressing - another item you wouldn't necessarily give up if you were giving up sweets, right? Wrong. High Fructose Corn Syrup, Maltodextrin, sugar, corn syrup. Stuff I surely never put in my homemade stuffing back when I ate sugar.






We all know ketchup is sweetened. Did we know it took three different kinds of sweetener? High Fructose Corn Syrup, regular corn syrup, and sugar.




Mexican rice: sugar and maltodextrin.














What's sugar doing in the peanut butter??? And, although I didn't get a picture of any, it's also in most mayonnaise.

The Rasberry Vinaigrette dressing is Organic, which is a good thing. But I really don't care that the sugar is organic - it's still THERE - and I still don't want to eat it.





















The pretzels had only one sweetener - dextrose. Still too much. BTW, another name for dextrose is glucose. I don't want it in MY pretzels.

Pet Peeve - although I can find sugar-free pretzels, I can't find Whole Wheat Sugar Free Pretzels. Why the heck not???

No comments: